On IBM xSeries Servers, IBM Director 5.20 or Later Will not Work After Upgrade
KB1009 - Sep 17, 2009
Description: Due to a problem in its upgrade procedure, the IBM Director Agent stops working, preventing Hardware Sentry KM and BMC Performance Manager Express for Hardware from monitoring the IBM xSeries server.
Additional Keywords: IBM Director, xSeries
On IBM xSeries Servers running Windows, IBM Director 5.20.x / 6.10.x will not work after upgrading from 5.10.x or earlier. As a result, "missing device" and "failed connector" alerts are generated by Hardware Sentry KM or BMC Performance Manager Express for Hardware.
A process called Pegasus Provider Adapter (ppa.exe) is still running after the upgrade.
Attempt a reinstall of the new IBM Director. If this does not work, reinstall the old version, uninstall it (do not upgrade directly) then reinstall the new version.
- Hardware Monitoring: No Environmental Information Available on IBM xSeries Servers
- How to Check the IBM Director’s version Number
- IBM Director Agent – Adding Authenticated Users
- Monitoring IBM xSeries Servers with Hardware Sentry
- Monitoring Lenovo Servers with Hardware Sentry
- On IBM xSeries Servers, Disks are not being reported.
- Verifying the IBM Director Agent is Operating Properly