- Best Practice
- This article explains how to disable missing device detection for specific component types on Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL 1.7.xx classes.
- Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL
Hardware Monitoring: Disabling Missing Device Detection
KB1064 - May 23, 2011
The missing device detection mechanism of Hardware Sentry alerts operators when a device that was previously detected in the system is no longer found. When a device is no longer discovered, its Missing parameter is activated and triggers an alarm. The missing device detection feature is enabled by default. If you disable this feature using the Missing Device Detection KM Command, you will no longer alerted when a component goes missing.
However there is a workaround to turn off the missing device monitoring for a specific component-type.
Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL has a default list of components for which the missing device detection is not performed even when this functionality is enabled. Thus, by adding the component type for which you wish to turn off the missing device monitoring to this list, you automatically disable this functionality for this component type.
Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL 1.7.xx is designed not to trigger an alert when the following component types go missing.
If you wish to disable the missing device detection for the PHYSICAL DISK component type only, and would still want to be notified when the other component types (excluding the components in default list) go missing, you need to perform the following procedure:
- Import the Patrol Agent configuration of the host on which you wish to add this functionality
- Create a new variable /SENTRY/HARDWARE/noMissingDeviceDetectionClasses
- Add the MS_HW_PHYSICALDIST class to following, as shown below:
- Apply the configuration and Reinitialize Hardware Sentry by right-clicking a Hardware instance in the PATROL Console and selecting "Reinitialize KM" from the KM Commands.
By doing this we override the default list to add the physical disk and deactivate the missing device detection for this component type.