- Best Practice"
- This article explains how to configure the 3PAR SMI-S provider to monitor the hardware of 3PAR Storage Arrays with Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL or BMC Performance Manager Express for Hardware
- 3PAR, SMI-S Provider
Monitoring 3PAR Storage Arrays with Hardware Sentry
KB1094 - Mar 21, 2012 - Last reviewed on Jul 11, 2013
This article explains how to configure the 3PAR SMI-S Provider to monitor the hardware of 3PAR Storage Arrays with Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL or BMC Performance Manager Express for Hardware. Since the 3PAR SMI-S Provider is embedded with the storage device, there is no need to install an SMI-S Provider. Monitoring hardware will only require configuring the 3PAR SMI-S Provider, and enabling monitoring.
Configuring 3PAR SMI-S Provider
Starting the 3PAR CLI
- Start PuTTY
- Specify the IP address, select the SSH connection type, and click Open
- Type the username configured on the array and press ENTER
- Type your password and press ENTER.
Enabling the 3PAR SMI-S provider
By default the 3PAR SMI-S Provider is not started on the array's management interface. The startcim must thus be run in the 3PAR CLI to start the SMI-S provider. Conversely, the stopcim will be used to stop/disable the SMI-S provider.
Use the command showcim to verify the status of the CIM server.
Note: For more information about the CLI commands, please refer to the 3PAR InForm Command Line Interface Reference guide.
Creating a User
A user with browse role is required to monitor the hardware of the HP 3PAR storage systems. To create this user:
- Open HP 3PAR Management Console.
- Click Security & Domains in the Manager Pane.
- Click Create User in the Common Actions Panel.
- Create a user with browse role.
With Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL
- Right-click the local host's Hardware icon › KM Commands › Add a Remote System or an External Device...
- Read the license agreement, accept it and click Next to continue.
- Enter the hostname of the HP 3PAR disk array where the SMI-S provider is running
- Leave the IP address or fully qualified name field blank if you specified the hostname
- Select the Storage (Array, switch, Library) platform from the drop-down list to specify the system type.
- Select the HP 3PAR Disk Array connector manually (MS_HW_HP3PAR.hdf), and click Next.
- Enter the WBEM credentials (username and password used to logon to the management interface) and click Next
- Check the protocol (http (not encrypted) / https (encrypted)) and port (5988 / 5989).
- Hardware Sentry needs to perform a full discovery to add the remote device. Click Finish to launch the discovery.
- A new Hardware icon will automatically be added in the console.
With BMC Performance Manager Express for Hardware
- Add a new element of type Storage to Portal
- Enter the hostname of the storage array to use its embedded SMI-S Provider
- Configure the monitoring for platform type storage and select Hardware(Storage) application class
- Provide valid WBEM credentials (username and password used to logon to the management interface) and complete the process.