Troubleshooting Veritas NetBackup KM
This chapter describes the basic troubleshooting steps to follow before contacting Customer Support.
- Performing the First Troubleshooting Steps
- Contacting Customer Support
- Reinitializing Veritas NetBackup KM
Performing the First Troubleshooting Steps
If you encounter issues while using Veritas NetBackup KM for PATROL, please complete the following steps:
Contacting Customer Support
If none of the above steps resolve the issue, please contact Customer Support for assistance. Before contacting our Customer Support, make sure that you have the following information available:
Retrieve the Veritas NetBackup KM version from the Veritas NetBackup KM home page of the KMs menu. Get detailed information about the KM from the Veritas NetBackup KM page of the Console menu or by generating a KM Status report.
If you suspect that the KM is not performing as expected, you can generate a KM Status Report by clicking the KM STATUS… button. This report provides details about the monitoring configuration of the KM and can be downloaded and forwarded to Sentry Software Support if required.
When you encounter an issue and wish to report it to Sentry Software, you will be asked to enable the Debug mode and provide the debug log to the Sentry Software Support team:
- Turn ON the Debug Mode to display the list of objects. By default, all objects will be turned ON.
- Turn OFF the objects you do not want to include in the log.
- In the Disable Debug Mode Automatically After field, enter the duration after which the debug mode will be turned off.
- In the Debug Directory Path field, indicate where the debug file must be stored (by default: <PATROL_HOME>/lib/NBU/debug). The debug folder must have at least 10MB of available disk space and read, write and execute permissions for both the PATROL Agent user and the Veritas NetBackup KM login user.
Once the debug settings are saved, the KM starts collecting debug data from the next discovery or data collection cycle. If you wish to collect the debug during the initial discovery or initial data collection cycles, click on the RELOAD… button.
During debug logging, the debug log files can be listed and viewed in the Debug Files section. Click REFRESH to see the latest debug log files. These files can be deleted selectively or all at once by clicking DELETE ALL.
The Debug Mode can be turned OFF manually anytime. When the debug mode is turned off (manually or automatically), a compressed file is then created under <PATROL_HOME>/log/. This file is listed in the Compressed Debug Files for Support section.
Reinitializing Veritas NetBackup KM
When Veritas NetBackup KM stops working properly or starts behaving in an unexpected manner (displays components as missing that you know are present, does not detect components as it should, stops collecting regularly, etc.), it is recommended to reinitialize the configuration and let the KM re-start monitoring from scratch.
To reinitialize the KM
- Click KM Settings in the Veritas NetBackup KM treeview and click the Reinitialize… button at the bottom of the page.
- Select the options as per your specific needs:
Reset KM Settings:
- Reset All: Enables/disables the reset of all the listed settings except for Reset Alert Thresholds.
- Reset Monitored Components: Resets the monitoring of any components that has been disabled by user from the console.
- Reset Runtime Settings: Resets the KM runtime configuration stored under the PATROL configuration path /Runtime/NBU to its initial settings.
- Reset Java Settings: Removes the custom Java settings (path and credentials). The KM will try to automatically find a suitable JRE.
storage netbackup km patrol