BCONETAPP-977: Backport of the Latest NetApp OptimizationsFeb 10, 2017
Version 7.1.04 of NetApp Data ONTAP ETL for BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization, which can be installed on top of version 7.1.03 or directly as a fresh install.
Accepted versions of BMC TrueSight CO: 10.0.00.[01:*];10.0.[01:*];10.3.[00:*]
Should you install this patch?
Install this patch if:
- You experience Service ETL failures while discovering and collecting data
- You notice that hierarchy is partially loaded.
- You experience poor performance on very large environments
- You notice an invalid value on the ST_CONSUMED_CAPACITY metric for Storage Filers
- You notice that some Storage Shares (NetApp Volumes) or LUNs are not properly discovered
What does it fix?
This patch offers the following improvements and fixes:
- The collection is not stopped when a Java runtime error occurs while collecting.
- The Service ETL saver now ignores discoveries or collects failures.
- In verbose mode, the serviceLoading.log file now only provides information about data collection
- Error messages displayed in the TrueSight CO console have been improved to distinguish connection issues from server failures.
- The ST_CONFIGURED_VOLUME_CAPACITY metric was added to the STOGLB dataset to expose the capacity of all the volumes present in the Storage Pools and Storage Systems.
- The iQN (iSCSI Qualified Name) is now handled for host mappings.
- The ST_POOL_DEV_COUNT metric now exposes the number of LUNs (instead of Shares).
- The computation method of the ST_CONSUMED_CAPACITY metric for Storage filers now corresponds to the sum of the ST_CONSUMED_CAPACITY metric of all its volumes.
- NullPointerExceptions prevented the discovery or collection from performing properly.
- Storage Shares (NetApp Volumes) were not properly discovered in NetApp MetroCluster environments.
- The computation method of the ST_AGGREGATE_OVERCOMMITMENT_PCT metric for Storage Pools (NetApp Aggregates) now corresponds to the percentage of the sum of the maximum size of all its volumes configured in aggregate exceeding the aggregate capacity.
- The new metric ST_SHARE_COMMITTED_SIZE was added to expose the maximum size of the volume that is considered for aggregate’s commitment.
- The new metric ST_AGGREGATE_COMMITTED_CAPACITY was added to expose the NetApp’s total committed space exposed in the consoles.
- The ETL now handles the discovery of an unlimited number of LUNs. All discovered LUNs are now displayed in the TrueSight CO console.
- Performance has been improved for the collection of Volumes, and Cluster LUNs/Disks metrics.
- Log files generated when collection fails are kept for troubleshooting purposes. Their name also includes their Exit status.IMPORTANT: These log files must be manually deleted on a regular basis.
How to install the patch?
- Access the BMC TrueSight CO Console.
- In the Administration tab, click ETL & SYSTEM TASK > NetApp Data ONTAP Extractor Service > Stop.
- Stop all the other ETL tasks by performing step 1
- In the Administration tab, click System > Maintenance.
- Verify the installation status of the already uploaded packages. If their status is "READY" or "RUNNING", wait for the installation to complete before proceeding.
- At the bottom of the Maintenance page, locate the Upload patch or additional package file section:
- Click Browse, locate and select the file to download named NetApp-Data-ONTAP-ETL-for-BMC-TrueSight-CO-7.1.04.zip
- Click Upload
- Read the Overview and click Next to continue.
- Read and accept the End User License Agreement.
- Select the server on which the operation must be executed; that is on which server the package will be saved.
- Click Proceed to continue.
- A successful installation will result in a green line in the Additional Packages table.
- In the Administration tab, click ETL & SYSTEM TASK > NetApp Data ONTAP Extractor Service Service and click to start the active configuration
- Restart the other ETLs.