P1716: Support for Hitachi VSP Gxxxx SeriesDec 29, 2015
Version 7.1.02 of Hitachi Device Manager ETL for BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization, which can be installed on top of version 7.1.0x or directly as a fresh install.
Version 7.1.02 supports BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization 10.0.00.[01:*];10.0.[01:*];10.3.[00:*].
Should you install this patch?
Install this patch if you wish to collect capacity information about Hitachi VSP Gxxxx Series storage systems.
What does it fix?
This patch adds support for Hitachi VSP Gxxxx Series storage systems.
How to install the patch?
- Access the BMC TrueSight CO Console.
- In the Administration tab, click SCHEDULER > ETL Tasks > Hitachi Device Manager Extractor Service > Stop.
- Stop all the other ETL tasks by performing step 1.
- In the Administration tab, click System > Maintenance.
- Verify the installation status of the already uploaded packages. If their status is "READY" or "RUNNING", wait for the installation to complete before proceeding.
- At the bottom of the Maintenance page, locate the Upload patch or additional package file section.
- Click Browse, locate and select the file to download named Hitachi-Device-Manager-ETL-for-BMC-TrueSight-CO-7.1.02.zip
- Click Upload
- Read the Overview and click Next to continue.
Configuring the ETL
To collect capacity information about Hitachi VSP Gxxx series storage systems, you will have to connect to the embedded SMI-S provider. The procedure is as follows:
- Access the configuration window:
- In the Administration tab, click ETL & System Tasks > ETL tasks.
- Press the Add button, and select Add ETL.
- Expand the Run configuration menu:
- From the ETL module pull-down list, select Storage - Hitachi Device Manager Extractor Service.
- Click the Edit button to add all the available datasets.
- In the Available datasets list, select the datasets to be added.
- Click Apply.
- Expand the Connection settings menu:
- Enter the hostname or the IP address of the embedded SMI-S Provider.
- Indicate the port number.
- Enter the username and password to connect to the embedded SMI-S Provider.
- Select the Transport Protocol
- Include the domain suffix in the system name.
- Click Save.
Customizing the Collection Level
By default, extended level metrics are not imported by the ETL when using v10.3 of BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization. To import them, you will have to customize the collection level and set it to  Extended. The procedure is as follows:
- Edit the ETL Run Configuration.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Expand the Collection level menu.
- From the Levels up to pull-down list, select  Extended.
- Click Save.
- Restart the Service ETL.
- The values of the metrics ST_VOLUME_CONSUMED_CAPACITY, ST_VOLUME_CONSUMED_CAPACITY_PCT, ST_CONSUMED_CAPACITY (Array only), and ST_CONSUMED_CAPACITY_PCT (Array only) are not accurate due to a bug identified on the Hitachi API.
- Collect issues may occur if Hitachi VSP Gxxxx Series Storage Systems have been previously attached to a different SMI-S provider for other purposes such as provisioning. To solve this collect issue, you will have to upgrade your version of Hitachi Device Manager to version 8.2.0.-03.
Troubleshooting Connectivity Issues
Download the Connection Tool Hitachi_ConnectionTool_V1.0.02.jar to test the connection to the Hitachi Device Manager. Learn more in this KB article: Troubleshooting Connectivity Issues.