Frequently Asked Questions
This FAQ provides answers to common questions about Sentry Software’s products. For advanced technical questions, please search our Knowledge Base.
You can try all our products for free for 30 days. During your trial period, you have full access to our Support team to ask any question regarding the installation or use of our products. If after your 30-day trial you wish to purchase our products, please contact BMC Sales .
You can connect to the following demo platforms to evaluate our products:
- Monitoring Studio X demo platform
- Storage Analyzer KM demo platform
- Hardware Sentry KM (integrated into TrueSight Operations Management)
- Hardware Sentry KM (standalone with Monitoring Studio)
If you need a demo tailored to your needs, please contact our Sales team.
The pricing model depends on the products you wish to purchase and the size of your environment. For example, the license cost is calculated:
- Per managed asset-server endpoint for:
- Hardware Sentry KM
- High-Availability Monitoring KMs
- Backup Monitoring KMs
- Monitoring Studio X. Please note that the Web Interface and REST API of Monitoring Studio X are free to use if you only interact with the PATROL Agent. A license is only required to configure local and remote hosts and create templates.
- Per active front-end ports for:
- The Storage Monitoring KMs
- The Storage Capacity Optimization ETLs
- Hardware Sentry KM when used to monitor storage systems
- Monitoring Studio X when used to monitor storage systems.
The number of active front-end ports can be obtained either from the debug logs or through the Port Count parameter. All active ports are subject to license, not only the connected ports. SAN switches ports are not licensed if the active front-end ports on the storage devices are licensed. Please refer to Collecting Port Count Details for Storage Devices to get the detailed procedure or contact our Sales team for assistance.
Sentry Software products are made exclusively for BMC Software and are marketed, sold and supported by BMC Software as “BMC” products. If you wish to purchase our integrated solutions for TrueSight Operations Management, TrueSight Capacity Optimization, or Helix, please contact BMC Sales .
Training and Professional Services are not included in the license price; they are available as services. A pre-paid number of days of Professional Services and training is however offered if you subscribe to a separate Premier Support contract. Please note that training is strongly recommended for all new users. For more information, please contact our Sales team.
A KM, a.k.a. Knowledge Module, is a monitoring solution that integrates into BMC TrueSight Operations Management and BMC Helix Operations Management. It consists in a set of files from which a PATROL Agent receives information about resources running on a monitored computer.
Our monitoring solutions are usually set up in large TrueSight Operations Management environments. However, Hardware Sentry KM, Storage Analyzer KM, and Monitoring Studio X can work as standalone monitoring solutions for small environments, requiring only a PATROL Agent and Monitoring Studio X. For more information, please contact our Sales team.
To verify that your servers and storage systems are supported by:
- Our monitoring solutions, refer to Coverage of Manufacturers and Models for TrueSight Operations Management
- Our capacity optimization solution, refer to Coverage of Manufacturers and Models for TrueSight Capacity Optimization
If your model is not listed in the pages above, you can run the relevant Troubleshooting tool against your system. If the connection test is successful and all the required data is correctly returned, your model is likely to be supported. Otherwise, ask for this platform to be supported.
The maximum number of storage devices monitored depends on the number of volumes and parameters monitored. Based on our customers' experience, we estimate that 30,000 volumes can be monitored per PATROL Agent instance.
No, Sentry Software and Sentry.io are not related. Sentry.io provides solutions for developers who wish to diagnose, fix, and optimize the performance of their code. Sentry Software provides solutions for IT managers and SAN administrators who wish to monitor their IT and SAN infrastructure and any application for which there is no out-of-the-box monitoring solution on the market. Sentry Software was founded in 2004 while Sentry.io was founded in 2012.