Forcing Detection of WMI-based Connectors when Required WMI Namespace is Unavailable
KB1272 - Jun 05, 2020
Description: How to work around the WMI restrictions created by some antivirus programs, which can cause some connectors to fail.
Additional Keywords: Hardware Sentry KM for PATROL
WMI-based connectors may not activate, as their queries fail with a result of "WMI unavailable (Access denied )". This occurs because some antivirus products (notably F-Secure) block access to the required WMI namespace.
In particular this behavior has been observed on IBM xSeries systems equipped with ServeRAID controllers. The connector used to monitor these RAID controllers is SMI-S Compliant RAID Controller - Windows.
The relevant information is in the "root\LSI_MR_1_3_0" namespace, however the antivirus product creates its own namespace (root\FSECURE), which blocks queries to all namespaces listed after it.
The resolution to this problem is to add a configuration variable forcing the use of the correct WMI namespace.
- Edit the CMA policy.
- In the List of Devices, select the Edit option for the appropriate device.
Scroll to the bottom of the resulting window, and next to Device Additional Configuration Variables, click Add. This will add a device-specific configuration variable.
Specify a new variable with the Name :
forceWmiNamespaceand the Value of the required namespace (in our example,
In Monitoring Studio X UI
In the Monitoring Studio X UI, click on TOOLS, and from the menu, select Config Hacker.
From the tree on the left, navigate to
SENTRY > HARDWARE > DeviceID, where DeviceID is the Device ID of the remote system being monitored.
Click the ADD VARIABLE button.
Specify the variable, with a Path of
/SENTRY/HARDWARE/<DeviceID>/forceWmiNamespace, and the Value of the required namespace (in our example,
- Click the ADD button, to apply the new variable.
- Hardware Monitoring: Disabling Missing Device Detection
- Hardware Monitoring: Enabling Missing Device Detection
- Object IDs shown in Hardware Sentry KM do not Match with Other Management Consoles
- Performance and Stability Best Practices for Hardware Sentry KM
- SSH-based monitoring fails due to incompatible Java versions
- System Requirements for Sentry KMs
- TrueSight Presentation Server Does Not Load After Installing Hardware Sentry TSPS component
- Unable to Perform Remote Monitoring from Windows 2008 Servers with UAC Turned on